Thursday, April 19, 2007

Horrible... :S

What happened at Virginia Tech this Monday was just horrible... I can't understand what this kid is saying, that he must do this, for his children, brothers and sisters... Maybe he's just mentally ill.

But when the news first came off this Monday, there was a local newspaper reporting that the shooter is a Chinese student, who went to US with a visa issued in Shanghai! Then Foxnews also cited that reporter and said the source is quite credible. That news was BIG among Chinese students and all the future MBAs here, becoz ppl are worried that this might affect the student visa policy towards China. When the authority announced the shooter was from Korea, we were all relieved... But still, it's quite irresponsible for that reporter to make a wrong accusation in the first place! Maybe Asians look similar, but a visa issued in Shanghai?? Where does that story come from?

I hope this incident won't leave a bad impression of Asians in the states... Actually I can assure you that majority of Chinese students have not even seen a gun before! Guns are banned in China, maybe they should be banned in US as well...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

FWIW, I haven't heard a single negative comment about Asians. I think most people realize that no race has a corner on the market for "troubled youths".

Also, guns are already banned on VT's campus. Oh yeah, and murder is illegal.

The kid seemed pretty determine to go out like he did. If he couldn't have gotten his hands on a gun, who knows what he might have done. A bomb? A fire?

Anonymous said...

As idealistic as it would be to ban guns outright, you also have to remember that the US was virtually formed on the principle of the right to bear arms (I won't get into the history books here).

The debate over gun control is almost on par with discussions about abortion, religion, and our two-party system. :)

-tvu said...

I work at UCI and have not seen nor heard of any backlash towards Asian American students. Our sister campus (UCLA) will have a similar attitude. There are too many Asian students at UCLA and UCI for a backlash towards Asians. For now, ethnicity has not been the issue. His mental health has been the focus of the media.

Mocha said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I totally understand that it's all about the right fit for MBA. Nevertheless, I will try harder the next time I reapply for MBA..after my working experiences of course.

In response to your post, I read about the VT shooting some forums. I think in general, ppl won't have bad judgment against Asians..though I read several comments that were cursing at Chinese specifically in that forum =( ...

My heart goes to the victims...