Saturday, September 16, 2006

Updates and a tough decision to make

I got several updates on the applications, but let me start with TOEFL. The first iBT TOEFL in China was a disaster! Lots of problems coming up. It appears that those staffs weren't even ready for throwing the test yet... about 1/3 of the test takers didn't manage to take the test in the end, and they will schedule another free test for those poor ppl. I was lucky I got in early, but then there was some problem with my headset. I waited there for half an hour for them to solve the problem, but that was already 2 hrs later than the scheduled start time of the test coz we waited outside for quite some time. There was a moment when I thought if I couldn't take the test tonight, i would have to reschedule a test in Sydney during my the vacation there... But luckily, they fixed my headset problem, and i started the test at around 6pm. So when i got out of the test center, it was already 10! And didn't have dinner yet... Anyway, the test is finally done, and I can focus on my essay writing~

Also, I went to the MBA tour in Shanghai one day before the test. It was so much better organized than the last World MBA tour! I get to talk to an admission staff from NYU, and some alumni from UCLA and Berkeley. It's interesting to see that eyes of everybody light up when they hear about my entrepreneurship idea. It's definitely an interesting idea, I can tell from their reaction, but I just need to find a best way to put it on the paper and make it convincing.

Talking about putting things on the paper, I've done so badly in that this week... Almost no progress! I haven't imagined I'd be so busy this week, with my Aus holiday coming near, but tons of work also came to me. My boss even called asking if I can postpone my holiday:( Of coz I can't, coz the air ticket has already been issued, boss~ So the bottom line is I'll need to work till the last minute I board the plane. Things also piled up at my parents' company, but luckily I had a very efficient morning today and sort everything out. I think I'm digging into my potential now, see how multitasking I can be :P

But after all, I guess I can't perform too many tasks at one time, so here comes the tough decision: I think I'll postpone Stanford and UCLA to R2 :( So far, I haven't even got down the first draft of Stanford essays, not to mention UCLA. Besides, although I have decided all the recommenders, I haven't fully prepared the neccessary information for them to write the recommendation. I figure that I should not rush, coz I want my essays come out with good quality and natural tone. It's a tough decision, but I guess I took GMAT too late which is part of the reasons why I couldn't make R1. Other things you just can't predict. Now I so agree with Rungee that you need to START EARLY!

No comments: